Friday, May 30, 2008

Always thought it would be fun to be a writer...but then again, I haven't managed to put enough words on paper or into the 'puter to say I have really written. Do all frustrated writers start a blog to get their creative juices flowing?
I have been reading the blogs of my nieces and nephews...they seem to live very interesting lives in the exotic places where they are. I doubt that my job merits much interest...so I will be searching for other things to write about. I have always enjoyed learning about new places, and meeting new people. Sometimes going back to some place that you haven't been in a long time can turn into a new experience, as well.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Last year I decided that I wanted to have a vacation just for enjoyment and relaxation. It was tough deciding where to go, but I finally decided on revisiting San Diego, CA. I wanted to stay somewhere that was different and unusual. I discovered hostels...inexpensive and somewhat eclectic...and that worked for me!
Downtown San Diego has seen a lot of revitalization over the last few years, and has become quite a trendy place. The hostel I chose is part of the International Hosteling network. Nothing fancy...the primary focus is on the younger generation, with limited travel budgets...students especially, many from around the world. In the lobby was a wall that boasted many clocks, set to times in other countries.
What makes the hostels so interesting is how the rooms are set up. I actually reserved a single for myself, but the majority were bunk rooms, with 4 or 8 bunks, with a locker for each occupant that could be padlocked. These rooms are for either men or women, not mixed. There was a large kitchen, where every moring, pancake batter was prepared...just go in, grab a skillet, and cook some up for yourself. Grab a cup of coffee, have a seat at one of the tables, and enjoy. Just be sure and clean up after yourself!
If you wanted, you could go to the tv room and join the group there, or pick a game to play, or read a book. Couches all around, or find a seat in the center, enclosed patio. Sign up for a walking tour of the area, hosted by an employee of the hostel, or go out on your own.
One of the sights that I most wanted to see was the "Star of India". She is a permanent part of the Maritime Museum...a 3-masted bark, the oldest iron- hulled merchant ship still afloat. Built on the Isle of Man, she was launched in 1863, and christened "Euterpe". I have some great pictures that I took on my vacation, including many of this grand old lady. The following is a link to my Picasa web album, if you'd care to check it out:
http://picasaweb.google.com/laura848/SanDiegoVacation?authkey=xzusL31aswM



No comments: